Recently I had the need to convert YouTube video files to MPG and was looking high and low for the easiest way to do it. Eventually I found instructions on using the free VLC media player that I already use to listen to music and watch videos. It seems that the program made some changes of how things work and the info on the site I found was not accurate any longer. So I created my own instructions.
- Open the VLC media player -> go do ‘Media’ ->
- select ‘Convert/Save” or use the Ctrl +R hot key combination
- Choose the file you want to convert by selecting the ‘Add’ button
- Select ‘Convert/Save’
- Now choose a name for the converted file and add the file type. You have to type it after the file name, you can’t select it from a drop down menu.
Then select ‘Save’
- If you want to see how the conversion progresses select the ‘Display the output’ checkbox
- Now to the most important part what file type do you want your flv file to be converted to. Choose your file type from the dropdown menu
- You are all set. Select start and your flv file will be converted to MP4 in this example. It should not take too long at the most as long as the file length.